Pregnancy Yoga Glasgow with Maureen Smith
Pregnancy yoga Glasgow is suitable for expectant mums at least 13 weeks into their pregnancy. No previous experience of yoga is required. Incorporating specially tailored postures and breathing techniques, these classes encourage relaxation, strengthen and tone the body, and help to build confidence as your body changes. Advice and information is also provided on all stages of pregnancy, delivery and the post natal stage.
Maureen Smith holds a Birthlight Diploma in Ante-natal and Post-natal Yoga and an instructors certificate in Infant Massage from the International Association of Infant Massage. Maureen is also a Registered General Nurse and Health Visitor with over 30 years experience.
Our pregnancy yoga Glasgow take place in our studio in the west end.
Please consult with your doctor that you are able to undertake pregnancy yoga. It is advised not to participate in the class if you have a history of repeated miscarriage. Please advise the teacher of any aches and pains and the number of weeks pregnant.
The Benefits of Pregnancy Yoga
- Helps your body:Slow and focused yoga postures gently stretch and tone the muscles helping to increase flexibility while generating strength. This helps calm the nervous system and improves circulation. Sciatica, restless legs, indigestion and heartburn, carpel tunnel syndrome, constipation and swollen ankles can all be eased by certain postures.
- Clears your mind:Regular yoga practice in pregnancy can help reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety, through relieving tension and stress. The combination of yoga postures, deep breathing and relaxation can help with better quality sleep, reducing insomnia.
- Creates bonding with baby:Pregnancy yoga encourages bonding with your baby by generating awareness of your body, and allowing you to focus on your baby. Babies love breathing exercises (it works like sonic massage) or relaxation and can respond by moving around or kicking more.
- Helps with preparation for labour: Labour requires you to be able to connect with your body, listen to it and allow it to guide you into making intuitive movements. A regular practice encourages the hips and pelvis to open for labour and specific breathing techniques can be very beneficial to help cope with contractions.
- Prepares you for motherhood:A regular class provides a safe and non-judgemental place for you to share your experience of pregnancy and meet other mums-to-be.
How do I get started?
Pregnancy yoga classes at balance, run every Saturday at 11:40am. We offer a drop in rate of £10 to anyone wishing to try our pregnancy yoga class. A block of classes is the best way to experience the full benefits of this class with different topics covered each week. If you’re keen to do a block of 5 classes (£45) you are welcome to sign up for the next block.
Once your baby has arrived and is aged 6 weeks or more, why not join our mum and baby yoga class which takes place on Wednesday at 12:00pm. We offer a drop in rate of £10 to anyone wishing to try the class with blocks of 5 classes (£45) .
Featured Yoga Classes
Book online or call reception