Welcome to yoga at balance. We firmly believe yoga can be for everyone, and offer compassion and enthusiasm to all who study with us. Since our founding 11 years ago balance has become a respected and popular place of practice sought out by many students, and on this website you will find all the information you need to choose the right class or workshop for you.
Practiced in India for over two millenia, yoga can now be found worldwide owing to its popularity and the tangible benefits it can bring. Considered both a science and an art, yoga is a practical philosophy aimed at uniting the body, mind and spirit for health and wellbeing.
A fit and supple body can be developed through the practice of postures, also know as asanas. Asanas work on all the bodily systems, toning the muscles, stimulating the circulation and improving overall health. But the benefits are not only physical: as postures are mastered and techniques introduced for relaxation and breath control, you will find that yoga has the power to calm the mind, increase concentration and help you cope with tension.
Practical info about attending a class:
- It is best to wear loose comfortable clothing, yoga is practised in bare feet. We have both male and female changing areas.
- It is advisable to allow at least 3 to 4 hours after eating a main meal and pracitising yoga. If it is just a light snack then give yourself at least an hour. If you really need a burst of energy before class then have a yoghurt of piece of fruit, or vegetable soup. Anything that is easy to digest.
- All equipment is provided here at balance. If you continue to practice yoga it is recommended to buy your own equipment, as this will also help you develop a home practice.
- Please arrive on time. We do not allow late arrival for class in the interests of a peaceful and effective practice.
- Please advise the teacher before class if you have any injury or ailment. Women, please note there are contra indications to some postures when pregnant or menstruating therefore inform the teacher.